Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Canine Babies

Through all of the craziness and excitement of becoming new parents, I haven't really mentioned that I am actually already a proud mother of two children, Hank Randy and Paisley Jane. During my sophomore year at Auburn, Lesley and I took at trip to the Lee County Humane Society. It was there I fell in love with a little blonde mutt, then named "Arizona". Lesley and I told a little fib that I lived with her so that I was able to rescue the poor baby, and so motherhood began. Arizona was renamed Hank Randy after days of deliberation, and immediately became my partner in crime. Hank and I have been through everything together: eating bags of chocolate, extended potty training, break ups, roommate arguments, endless days at Keisel or Chewacla, hanging with our best friends, road trips, and many more memories. Hank is my first love, and if you have ever met Mr. Hanky, you know that he lives for one purpose only: to be with his mama. I am a huge animal lover, but I can say with confidence that Hank holds a special place in my heart and he knows it. In fact, when Eric came along, Hank was not exactly keen on another man being in my life (and he still struggles with this today). It was only natural for me to worry when I decided to get a great dane for Eric for his birthday. Once again, Lesley and I set out on a journey to a scary house in Birmingham to pick up my baby girl. We brought Jake for security (thank the Lord) and as we pulled up to the dark house with iron bars on the windows and no answer at the door, we wondered if we had made a mistake. Thankfully, we did not and brought home a 20 lb, 9 week old bundle of joy to suprise Eric. Paisley Jane loved her big brother Hank right from the start, and after a few weeks of pouting he realized that he was the big brother and would be the boss man and care taker of his little, giant sis. Paisley is beautiful, marbled with grey and black and now weighs 120 lbs. She actually believes that she is no bigger than a yorkie and loves to lay on top of me and nap.
Before I became pregnant, I always said that I had no idea how I could love anything more than the two babies I already have. I know that things change when you have a baby, and I must say that I am anxious about how Hank is going to handle the whole "new baby" thing ! It is crazy, but I have noticed that Paisley has become extremely protective of me lately. She has been great on walks by not dragging me down the street, and she even gets concerned when Hank tries to jump on my tummy! I am not worried about my gentle giant at all- great danes are known for being remarkably gentle around newborns and I feel that her temperament follows that exactly. I know Hank will be brave and become a great big brother again! It may take some coaxing on my part, but I have faith that he will understand that I still love him the same! I will wrap things up now, but I wanted you all to know a little about Baby Corscadden's big brother and sister! Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I love your baby blog!!! You are doing a great job of keeping your far away friends posted!! I'm sure that Hank & Paisley will be great older siblings to baby Corscadden! I'm soooo excited and can't wait to find out the sex! We miss you guys so much & wish we could be there to watch you grow! Love you guys!! Duff says hey!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Rachel Corscadden. My husband, Eric, and I live in Homewood, Alabama with our two dogs, Hank and Paisley. We are expecting our first child in April 2010! We are truly blessed with wonderful families and friends and could not be any happier! Thanks for visiting!